There are two wireless networks in the Health System that are compatible with the iOS devices:
- UMHS-802.1X is the recommended wireless network for iOS devices, but does require a Level 2 account in order to access.
- MWireless-UMHS is an alternative network that also works on iOS devices, though less reliably. MWireless-UMHS uses Active Directory (AD) passwords; your AD password may be synchronized with your Level-1 UMICH Password (Level-1) password.
MSIS recommends that all iOS devices be set to use the UMHS-8021X wireless network.
Joining UMHS-802.1X requires the iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch to be at version 2.+ of the operating system.
OS v1.0 doesn't support 802.1x certificates.
- On the iOS device, from the home screen, tap Settings.
- Tap Wi-Fi; it will scan for the network.
- Select UMHS-8021X.
- When prompted for a username/password, put in your uniqname and Level-2 Password.
- Tap Join in lower right corner.
- If an error appears, repeat step 4 until successful.
Your iPhone must have version 2.0 or later firmware installed.
You must download the installer directly onto your iPhone, iPod touch or iPad. To do that, use the browser on the device to access the Internet, navigate to this web page and touch the MWireless-UMHS.mobileconfig download link.
- Download the MWireless-UMHS.mobileconfig file directly to your device.
- Tap the Install button.
- When the pop-up window appears, select Install Now.
- Enter your U-M uniqname and tap the Next button.
- Type in your Active Directory password and tap the Next button. (Your AD password may be synchronized with your Level-1 UMICH Password (Level-1) password.)
- The MWireless-UMHS profile should now be installed. Tap the Done button.
- Go to your device settings and choose the MWireless-UMHS network.
It may be necessary to turn your iPhone WiFi off and back on in order to connect the first time.