|Effective August 2015, UMHS email can no longer be accessed using the POP or IMAP protocols. Computers and mobile devices will need to be reconfigured to use a secure connection. See the UMHS Exchange IMAP Client Connections page for more information.|
Setting up an account in the Thunderbird application is fairly straightforward. The following procedure outlines how to set up an account to the three main email servers used in the UM Medical Complex environment.
- Launch the Thunderbird application.
- If Thunderbird has not been used before, the Import Wizard window will appear. Select Don't import anything and click Next. The Account Wizard window will appear.
- If Thunderbird has been launched previously, go to the Tools menu and choose Account Settings... On the left at the bottom of the column, click the Account Actions dropdown menu and select Add Mail Account....
- In the dropdown panel, enter a Full Name, Email Address, and associated password in the appropriate fields. Click the Continue button.
- Thunderbird will attempt to create the account automatically. Once it finishes, in the lower left corner, click the Manual Setup... button. The Account Settings pane will load.
- In the left column, confirm the entry for the new account, which is named from the email address, is selected and, if necessary, expand the setting categories beneath the account.
- Set the Email Address as appropriate to the mail server, replacing "uniquename" with the uniquename of the account:
ITS (blue or maize) email@example.com ITS Exchange firstname.lastname@example.org
- In the left column, beneath the new account entry, click the Server Settings option. Use the following table to determine how to complete the setup depending on the account. Italicized text should be replaced with the appropriate user information.
ITS (blue or maize) ITS Exchange Server Name mail.umich.edu imap-exchange.umich.edu Port 993 993 User Name uniqname uniqname Connection security SSL/TLS SSL/TLS Authentication method Normal password Normal password
Set any other settings as desired.
- In the left column, at the bottom of the list, select Outgoing Server (SMTP).
- From the list, select the SMTP server flagged as Default and then click the Edit... button. If no default server is listed, click the Add button to create one.
- Use the following table to determine how to complete the setup depending on the account. Italicized text should be replaced with the appropriate user information.
ITS (blue or maize) ITS Exchange Description ITS ITS Exchange Server Name smtp.mail.umich.edu smtp-exchange.umich.edu Port 587 587 Connection security STARTTLS SSL/TLS Authentication method Normal password Normal password User Name uniqname uniqname
- Click the OK button to return to the Account Settings pane.
- Click the OK button to close the Account Settings pane.
- The account will appear in the All Folders list on the left side of the window. Thunderbird will attempt to access the account and may prompt for the relevant password. Check the box to Use Password Manager to remember this password if the computer is sufficiently secure from prying eyes.
- When the first message is sent from the account, a window may pop up asking for the password for the Outgoing Server. This password is the same as the password used in the previous step. Again, check the box to Use Password Manager to remember this password if the computer is sufficiently secure from prying eyes.