Vacation and other "out of office" messages can be set for Exchange accounts using the Outlook Web Application (OWA).
MCommunity Away Messages
Out of office messages set in MCommunity, identified as Away Messages, will not work for all messages sent to an Exchange account. Although anyone sending email to the generic "firstname.lastname@example.org" address will receive the Away Message, other Exchange users will not. In order to ensure that anyone who emails the individual receives the out of office message, Exchange users should set their out of office message in the OWA using the following instructions. MCommunity Away Messages are not required when the out of office message is set in the OWA.
- Open a browser and access the Outlook Web Application (OWA) by clicking the following link:
- In the provided fields, enter your uniqname for the User name and your Level-2 password. Click the Sign in button.
- After the Inbox appears in the browser window, towards the top right corner, click the Options dropdown menu and then select See All Options...
- In the left column, click the Organize E-Mail option. In the right pane, click the Automatic Replies icon.
Alternatively, under the Shortcuts to other things you can do column on the right, select Tell people you're on vacation to display the Automatic Replies screen.
- The Automatic Replies screen is divided into two sections to allow a different reply to be sent based on whether the original sender also has a UMHS Exchange account (an @med.umich.edu address) or not.
- An automatic reply can be specified to be active for a particular date range.
- The message in the upper section will be sent to other UMHS Exchange users.
- The message in the upper section will be sent to all other senders.
- Generally, both boxes should contain a similar email message.
- To set out of office messages, first click the Send automatic replies option.
- To avoid a need to turn off the out of office messages, check the Send replies only during this time period: box and enter a Start time and End time.
- Enter your out of office message in the first section. The tools at the top of the field provide different formatting options.
- At the top of the second section, confirm the Send automatic reply messages to senders outside my organization box is checked. Generally, you should also select to Send replies to all external senders.
- Enter your out of office message in the second section, customizing it for an external audience if needed.
Be sure to fill out both sections to ensure everyone who emails you will receive an out of office message!
- After filling out both message areas, click the Save button. Your messages will be sent within the specified date range.
- In the upper right corner, click the sign out button.