PHYSICAL MEDICINE AND REHABILITATION
OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY DEPARTMENT
Wear your splint:
At all times
As directed by your physician
During vigorous or painful activities
As needed only
Wear according to the following: ____________
Remove your splint: ___
times per day to:
Please call your therapist/the outpatient OT department at (734) 936-7070 if you have any concerns regarding the comfort/fit of your splint or of the following problems:
• Excessive or increased swelling, stiffness or pain
• Blisters or reddened areas that do not go away within 20 minutes after splint is removed
• Rash where your splint is in direct contact with your skin
• Any other concerns regarding the fit of your splint
• Please note that any boot/foot splints made by OT are NOT designed for weight bearing. Avoid any weight bearing or walking on your foot splint
Splint care instructions:
Wash your splint at least once a day to avoid odors, reduce chance of infection in wounds, and for your personal comfort. Use soap and lukewarm water to wash. Other agents you may use to clean your splint include rubbing alcohol and cleansers with chlorine, which may help reduce perspiration odors and remove dirt.
• Off the shelf fabric splints may be machine washed and air-dried. Remove plastic or metal stays first.
• Do not leave your splint near any source of heat (such as a radiator, stove, or in the car in hot weather), as it will lose its form.
• Hand or machine wash (in delicates bag or pillowcase) stockinettes. Air- drying will prolong the life of your stockinette.
Therapist: ______________________ Pager #: ____________